Former Manchester United winger David Beckham has revealed
how the club had agreed
terms with Barcelona prior to his move to Real Madrid back in 2003.
After six Premier League titles and a Champions League trophy, Beckham
ended his association with boyhood club United as he joined Madrid in
a deal worth around €35 million.
But Beckham says that the Red Devils had already agreed terms with
the Liga club’s huge rivals, although the former England captain was
adamant he would only leave for the Bernabeu.
He told BBC Radio 4: “There was never any revenge. I was hurt and angry
at the time at how the situation had gone because throughout the season
I was left out of certain games but never thought it would lead to me leaving.
“But I had heard rumours I might be sold. I was holiday in the States with
Victoria and one of my friends called and told me it was on Sky Sports that
United had agreed terms with Barcelona. I said ‘that wasn’t right,
I don’t know anything about it’.
“I then flew back to London. I tried to speak to Peter Kenyon and tried to
speak to the manager and he said ‘no’. I said ‘well I need to speak to him
and understand what is going on’. He said ‘it’s true, we have agreed a deal’.
“That is when I spoke to my agent and said ‘if I am going to move,
I’m going to move to Madrid’. Within a day, I was sat with
the president of Madrid and we agreed that is where I was going to go.”
Beckham’s relationship with manager Sir Alex Ferguson had
soured at the time but the former winger insists that he never wanted to leave Old Trafford.
He added: “I didn’t watch Manchester United for three years [after leaving].
“I was shocked and devastated because we had just won the league that season.
“[Without a doubt I wanted to retire at Old Trafford] Because Manchester United were my team.
I had no aspirations to leave United.”
Recommended for You...
- January 31, 2017 I’m hoping I don’t play this season’ – Terry happy with Chelsea support role
The Blues skipper would be happy to spend the remainder of the campaign on the […]
- April 8, 2017 Ronaldo vs Griezmann – who has the edge ahead of the Madrid derby? The Portuguese and the Frenchman will be in the spotlight once again in the derby on […]
- February 19, 2017 Bechem Utd knocked out of Caf Confed League by MC ALgers
Ghana Premier League side Bechem United have been eliminated from the 2017 Caf […]
- March 2, 2017 Confirmed: Luis Enrique announces decision to leave Barcelona at the end of the season
Luis Enrique has announced he will not be Barcelona’s head coach next season. The […]
- March 14, 2017 Petition for Barcelona’s win over PSG to be replayed passes 200,000 mark
A fan has cited referee Deniz Aytekin's performance in the encounter as a good enough […]
- February 5, 2017 K P Boateng hits out at Ghana FA
Former Ghana international Kevin-Prince Boateng has taken a swipe at the Ghana […]
- February 9, 2017 Ghana can win the World Cup – Avram Grant
Ex-Ghana coach Avram Grant believes Ghana can win the World Cup in the near […]
- February 5, 2017 Sulley Muntari marks Serie A return in Pescara home reverse against Lazio
Ghana international Sulley Muntari marked his returned to the Italian Serie A by […]
- February 9, 2017 I’m sad leaving Ghana – Grant
Outgoing Black Stars coach, Avram Grant has revealed that he is sad he is leaving […]
- February 9, 2017 Maintain Nyantankyi as GFA Boss-Grant
Out going Black Stars Coach Avram Grant wants Kwesi Nyantakyi to be maintained as […]
- March 6, 2017 REMINDER: Nkrumah and Ghana’s independence struggle
According to the history books, 108 years ago on Sept. 21, 1909, Kwame Nkrumah, the […]
- May 17, 2017 Kwesi Appiah open to calling suspended Black Stars duo Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng may well return to the Black Stars in the near […]