An Accra High Court has ordered government to allocate money to the domestic violence support fund to provide free medical care for victims of domestic violence.
Justice Anthony Yeboah granted the reliefs sought by a private legal practitioner Martin Kpebu after the Attorney-General’s Department failed to enter an appearance.
During proceedings, Martin Kpedu revealed that the Fund, a statutory creation has not received a dime from government, at least, 10 years after it was created by the Domestic Violence Act passed in 2007.
The Act states in Section 29: Establishment of Fund “There is established by this Act a Victims of Domestic Violence Support Fund.”
Stating the objectives of the Fund, the Act further explains that the Fund shall be applied;
(a) towards the basic material support of victims of domestic violence,
(b)for training the families of victims of domestic violence,
(c) for any matter connected with the rescue, rehabilitation and reintegration of victims of domestic violence,
(d) towards the construction of reception shelters for victims of domestic violence in regions and districts, and
(e) for training and capacity building of persons connected with the provision of shelter, rehabilitation and reintegration.
Sources of money for the Fund
31. The moneys for the Fund include
(a) voluntary contributions to the Fund from individuals, organizations and the private sector;
(b) moneys approved by Parliament for payment into the Fund, and
(c) moneys from any other source approved by the Minister responsible for finance.
Ghana recorded 84,142 cases of sexual and gender-based violence nationwide from 2009 to 2013.
Statistics from the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Ghana Police Service indicated that 15,426 cases of sexual and gender-based violence with 14,415 assault cases on women were recorded in 2014.
Recommended for You...
- April 1, 2017 Court warns Bishop Obinim
The Accra Domestic Violence and Gender-Based Court has advised parties in the […]
- June 8, 2017 44th Major Mahama ‘killer’ arrested
The Ghana Police Service has arrested three more persons in connection with the […]
- February 20, 2017 Akufo-Addo’s gov’t gives $90,000 to MPs to buy cars? PPP director of Election
Director of Elections for the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Nana Ofori Owusu has […]
- June 8, 2017 I didn’t kill capt. Mahama, nursing mother nabbed
One of the three persons dragged to court over the murder of Major Maxwell Adam […]
- February 18, 2017 Obinim’s video tape shown in court
The trial of Bishop Daniel Obinim, the Founder of God’s Way International Church and […]
- March 21, 2017 Ghana-born medical student achieves milestone at top US university
A lot of Ghanaians are sharing on social media the news that Ghana-born medical […]
- March 20, 2017 Disaster! Tree kills 20, injures 30 revelers at Kintampo Waterfall Twenty people are confirmed dead and about 30 others injured at the Kintampo Waterfall […]
- February 18, 2017 Pastor sentenced to 20 years in jail for defiling girl, 13
A pastor at Domeabra near Pokuase in the Ga West District of the Greater Accra […]
- February 24, 2017 You’re a homosexual & disgrace to your family – Foh-Amoaning fires Amnesty Board Chair
Host of NEAT FM’s morning show, Kwesi Aboagye had the toughest time controlling Law […]
- February 17, 2017 List of regional Council of State representatives
Elections for regional representatives to serve on the Council of State took place […]
- February 18, 2017 We always ‘chop’ the tithes – Prophet Kumchacha reveals
Founder and Leader of the Heaven's Gate Ministries, Nicholas Osei, popularly known […]
- February 17, 2017 Stop Akufo-Addo from using Heritage Fund for Free SHS –Lecturer tells Ghanaians
A former lecturer of the University of Ghana, Dr. Ebenezer Kofi Hayford is urging […]