Ghana and Newcastle winger Christian Atsu said he would like to use the story of his own childhood to highlight the dangers of child labour and human trafficking faced by many young children in his country.
Atsu said the struggles he faced to make it as a professional footballer is a good example of the lived realities of children in Ghana.
“Growing up in Ghana I had a very difficult situation. I had no money to buy food or to get shelter. It was very difficult for me and my family,” Atsu explained.
The 26-year-old said he knew he was “lucky to come out of the situation” – but was more than aware others had not had his luck.
As a result, he has decided to help build a school attached to an orphanage which cares for 50 children in his home country.
Speaking an event he organised in Newcastle, together with charity organisation, Arms Around the Child, last night, he revealed he hoped to raise £50,000 for the scheme.
“We are seeing a lot of children suffering from child trafficking and child labour so we are working hard to get them out of this situation and give them better education,” Atsu, who earns a reported £10,000 a week, said.
“I think it’s very important for footballers to get involved because they can inspire a lot of people to help in charity causes.”
His Senegalese teammate Mohamed Diame agreed.
“Footballers are privileged people so it’s important to share and give support and never forget the people in Africa,” he said.
“Helping others should be a normal thing because God tells us that we have to share,” Diame added.
Recommended for You...
- March 20, 2018 Meweather Wants To Buy EPL Club. American boxing legend, Floyd Mayweather, who is widely known for piling his money into […]
- February 24, 2017 Asamoah Gyan is a rapist and curse to Black Stars – Lawyer Maurice Ampaw
Ghanaian popular lawyer, Maurice Ampaw, has hinted that the Ghana National team – […]
- June 14, 2018 Sports #Number12 exposé: Kotoko upset with Anas over ‘fixed’ loss to Hearts Asante Kotoko have spoken out in the aftermath of the Anas Aremeyaw Anas exposé and they […]
- February 11, 2017 “Gyan is a fantastic striker, in fact, a complete one, few strikers are like him.-Avram Grant
Departing Ghana Coach Avram Grant says getting a player of Asamoah Gyan’s specie […]
- February 25, 2018 Ghana’s Lizzy Sports Academy U13 side emerged winners of the 2018 Dubai International Cup Ghana's Lizzy Sports Academy U13 side emerged winners of the 2018 Dubai International […]
- March 29, 2017 Coach Akwasi Appiah is the right one for the Black Stars – Mohammed Polo
Mohammed Ahmed Polo, Former player for the Black Stars has said coach James Akwasi […]
- February 25, 2018 Stephen Appiah Appointed Ambassador For Beltway In Ghana Former Ghanaian football star and captain, Stephen Appiah, has signed a one-year deal to […]
- February 15, 2017 Prize money for GPL undecided – George Amoako
THE Vice-Chairman for the Premier League Board (PLB), Mr George Amoako, has revealed […]
- February 27, 2018 Kofi Kinaata Mocks Sarkodie,Samini and Donzy. Kofi Kinata mocks Sarkodie, Samini and Donzy over Chelsea’s loose to United After […]
- February 22, 2018 Latest News And Transfer Rumours
The latest news and transfer rumours from the European press as Karim […]
- March 2, 2018 GFA In Total Disarray…. Osei Kofi Former Kumasi Asante Kotoko star and member of the 1965 African Cup winning team, Rev. […]
- March 21, 2017 FIFA bans Ghanaian referee Joseph Lamptey for life
The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to ban the Ghanaian match official […]