Minister of Information, Dr. Mustapha Abdul Hamid has served notice Ghana would not be threatened into abandoning due process in the course of the deportation of some 7000 Ghanaians.
In an interview with Gold News, he said the Ghanaian government must be certain that the deportees are truly Ghanaians before accepting them into the country.
The Minister was responding to claims by the US Embassy that the Ghana Missions in the US are not complying with international obligations regarding the issuance of travel documents to Ghanaians awaiting deportation in the USA.
The Embassy further threatened to impose VISA restrictions on Ghana if it fails to quicken the pace of the process.
Responding to the US Embassy, Dr. Mustapha Hamid said government is acting cautiously in order to avoid past instances where non-Ghanaians have been deported into the country and Ghanaians to other countries.
“We are going to go through our own procedure to be sure that these are indeed Ghanaians and it is Ghana that they ought to be deported to. There’ve been situations in the past that people have been bundled and come and left in Ghana when in actual fact they are not Ghanaians.”
“There has also been situations were Ghanaians have been bundled and thrown in Nigeria and so on and so forth,” he explained.
The Information Minister also indicated that government would not be cowed by threats and that it would do what is in the interest of its citizens.
“They can do what they ought to do. We too will continue to do what we ought to do to ascertain that our citizens are our citizens,” he stated.
Recommended for You...
- June 28, 2018 Corruption has become a national disaster under Akufo-Addo’s watch – Group A group calling itself, Caucus for Democratic Governance Ghana (CDG-GH) has opined that […]
- March 19, 2017 I’ll protect the public purse – Nana Addo reiterates
President Nana Addo has reiterated his commitment to protect the public […]
- March 31, 2018 Accruing GH¢28.6b debt in 1 year with nothing to show worrying- Adongo to govt Member of Parliament for Bolgatanga Central, Isaac Adongo is accusing government of […]
- December 24, 2017 Stop talking and take action now – A Plus to Akufo-Addo Musician and known sympathizer of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Asare […]
- March 28, 2018 Koku Anyidoho spends night in CID custody Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Koku […]
- March 8, 2017 Crediting only Nkrumah for Ghana’s freedom “big mistake” – Afenyo-Markin
A legal practitioner and New Patriotic Party (NPP) Member of Parliament for Effutu, […]
- February 15, 2017 Gov’t begins negotiations to extend IMF deal
Reports suggest that Government is considering extending Ghana’s program with the […]
- February 24, 2017 “Akufo-Addo must stop victimising Dr. Opuni” – Yammin
Former Ashanti Regional secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress, […]
- February 20, 2017 NDC Ministers ‘march’ to Flagstaff House for ex-gratia
Starr News can confirm that former appointees under the erstwhile John Mahama-led […]
- March 19, 2018 Ask Mahama why I didn’t serve in his government – Koku Anyidoho Outspoken former Spokesperson at the Office of the President during the first three […]
- September 24, 2018 DRIVERS AT ATONSU THREATEN DEMO OVER FUEL INCREMENT-KUMASI Drivers at Atonsu High School Junction in Kumasi have threatened to stage demonstration […]
- March 25, 2017 Akufo-Addo cuts sod for construction of new French Embassy President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has cut the sod for the start of construction […]