A cross section of Ghanaians have commended President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, for the free Senior High School (SHS) that would commence in the next academic year in September.
They indicated that the move would give brilliant but needy students the opportunity to gain admission into high schools after graduating from the junior high schools.
Mr Charles Richard, a trader said: “The policy is good because I know one man who could not pay the fees of his two children last year, and this may be happening across the country.”
He called on the government to release the funds to the Education Ministry in time to support the free SHS.
Madam Amina Bawa, a trader at Sowutuom said the free SHS would prevent the frequent media reports of students in boarding schools in the Northern Region, who were sometimes left at home because government had not pay their feeding fees whilst their mates elsewhere were studying.
Mr George Addo, a trotro driver advised the government to increase the number of trainee teachers to be able to teach the high number of students who would be churned out from the free SHS system.
“The free SHS is good but more teachers will also be needed to teach the rising number of students in the schools,” he stressed.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in a speech he delivered at the 60th Anniversary celebration of Okuapeman School where he was the Special Guest of Honour indicated that his government would fund the cost of public SHS for all those who qualify for entry from the 2017/2018 academic year onwards.
He explained there would be no fees for admission, library, science centres, computer labs, examination and for utility services.
President Akufo-Addo added that, in addition to the tuition fee, which was already free, there would be free textbooks, free boarding and meals. Day students will also get free meals.
Recommended for You...
- August 5, 2017 Hon Kofi Tatablata DCE storms Kpandai Senior High School Education is the main priority of the Ghanaian youth, but quality education in Ghana is […]
- February 11, 2017 Free SHS to begin from next academic year – Akufo-Addo President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo says government would fund the cost of public […]
- November 26, 2017 Free SHS voluntary contribution won’t work – Mahama Ex-president John Dramani Mahama says the challenges with the Free senior high school […]
- March 5, 2017 NPP only repackaged NDC’s ‘free SHS’ policy – Lecturer
A Senior Lecturer of Public Sector Accountancy and Finance at the Accra Technical […]
- February 17, 2017 Stop Akufo-Addo from using Heritage Fund for Free SHS –Lecturer tells Ghanaians
A former lecturer of the University of Ghana, Dr. Ebenezer Kofi Hayford is urging […]
- July 10, 2017 NPP backs Adwoa Safo’s claim about World Bank-funded SHS The New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the Dome-Kwabenya Constituency is backing MP for the […]
- March 1, 2018 Obiri Boahen Preparing To Face NPP Steering Committee Deputy General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) Nana Obiri Boahen […]
- February 17, 2017 I’ll resign if you produce evidence I threatened to sack teachers – Napo
Minister of Education, Dr Mathew Opoku Prempeh, says he will resign if anyone […]
- September 24, 2018 DRIVERS AT ATONSU THREATEN DEMO OVER FUEL INCREMENT-KUMASI Drivers at Atonsu High School Junction in Kumasi have threatened to stage demonstration […]
- February 20, 2017 Akufo-Addo’s gov’t gives $90,000 to MPs to buy cars? PPP director of Election
Director of Elections for the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Nana Ofori Owusu has […]
- January 5, 2018 Ghs 14m Released By Government To Pay Teachers Arrears from 2013-2016 -Dr. Bawumia Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has disclosed that the Finance Ministry has released […]
- July 13, 2018 MEET THE BEST MATHS STUDENT IN SUNYANI. The conscious understanding of mathematics to many students have it that; maths is […]