Former President Jerry John Rawlings has expressed concern about the choice of words used by President Akufo-Addo on the military agreement with the US, noting that the words were “hard”.
In his attempt to settle the controversies surrounding Ghana’s defence agreement with the United States of America, which was ratified by Parliament on March 23, President Akufo-Addo used words such as cynical, reckless, self-seekers and unspeakable hypocrisy to sort of shut up critics.
A cross section of Ghanaians, largely opposition National Democratic Congress, have condemned the strong words used by the president.
Some felt his choice of words took the shine out of rather precarious situation that deserve serious attention and concise response to allay the fears of rumoured military base embedded in the agreement.
The strong words were not lost on former President Rawlings who wants cool heads to prevail in the agreement.
“Though the President’s address was hard, it was important and timely to hear him and the American Ambassador (earlier) affirm that there would be no military base established in Ghana,” Mr. Rawlings commented in a tweeter post.
The former military leader of Ghana added, “That was my major concern in my initial reaction to news of the agreement. The spirit of cooperation, be it military or diplomatic has always been there.
“If there are details of the agreement that warrant a second look, such details should be examined to create comfort for all sides. ”
Recommended for You...
- June 28, 2018 Rawlings, NDC split over Ghana Card Former President Jerry John Rawlings and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) are […]
- April 4, 2018 Publish Ghana-USA agreement in the dailies – MP challenges Gov’t The Member of Parliament (MP) for Komenda Edina Eguafo Abirem (KEEA) has challenged […]
- March 28, 2018 Ghana must return to military rule immediately – NDC Communicator The opposition National Democratic Congress' (NDC's) Communication Officer for Jomoro […]
- June 27, 2018 Ghana Card: Use Voter IDs – Kufuor Backs Mahama, NDC Former President John Agyekum Kufuor has urged the National Identification Authority […]
- April 26, 2018 US Military deal: Akufo-Addo spoke like a dictator in Middle East – Sammy Gyamfi
A communication team member of the National Democratic Congress […]
- March 31, 2018 NBA Champion Didier Mbenga ‘dwarfs’ Kufuor and Rawlings Many were of the conviction, former President John Agyekum Kufuor is arguably one of the […]
- March 17, 2018 I will support Marwan Traboulsi any day – Rawlings replies Kennedy Agyapong Former President Jerry John Rawlings has reiterated his support and confidence in the […]
- March 20, 2018 Defence Minister Denies U.S. Military Base In Ghana Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul is denying claims that Cabinet has, pending […]
- February 7, 2018 WATCH VIDEO: THE REAL HISTORY OF J J RAWLINGS Jerry John Rawlings (born 22 June 1947) is a former head of state and president of […]
- April 18, 2017 NDC’s Dr Asemfoforo is dead Vociforous member of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Dr. Asemfofro, […]
- February 19, 2017 Ghana fortunate to have Akufo-Addo – Rawlings
Former president JJ Rawlings has once again declared his confidence in President […]
- March 28, 2018 Anyidoho cannot be jailed – John Ndebugri Deputy General Secretary of the main opposition National Democratic Congress(NDC) will […]