Parliament has resolved to conduct a public hearing on Tuesday July 3 for firebrand Member of Parliament Kennedy Agyapong, to answer for his conduct that has been deemed to be contemptuous of parliament.
Mr. Agyapong who is the MP for Assin Central, was accused of insulting parliament and the Majority Leader Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu.
He reportedly called the MPs “useless” for confirming the MP for Suame, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu as the Majority Leader.
His utterances were brought to the attention of the Speaker who referred the matter to the Privileges Committee of the House for the necessary action.
An examination of the evidence against Mr. Agyapong on June 26 established a prima facie case against him.
The Committee after examining the evidence said the controversial MP breached Article 112 of the 1992 Constitution and Order 31(2) of Parliament’s Standing Orders as well as clause 4(9) of Code of Conduct of members of parliament.
“For that reason he ought to appear [before the Privileges Committee] and be given the opportunity” to explain himself as “natural justice requires,” Vice Chairman Andrew Kofi Mercer told journalists on Tuesday.
A statement from the Public Affairs Department of Parliament said the Committee has scheduled July 3 to hold a public hearing on the alleged breach of privilege and contemptuous conduct.
“There Committee is expected to report its findings and recommendations to plenary after the hearing for the necessary actions and follow up” the statement said.
Recommended for You...
- March 1, 2018 Obiri Boahen Preparing To Face NPP Steering Committee Deputy General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) Nana Obiri Boahen […]
- June 30, 2018 Charlotte Osei’s outer “hard and harsh” – Kweku Baako fires Akufo-Addo
Veteran journalist Kweku Baako has described the oust of Mrs. Charlotte Osei by […]
- February 13, 2018 Call arrogant Amidu to order – Kennedy Agyapong tells Akufo-Addo The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has been called upon to call the Special […]
- December 11, 2017 Charlotte Osei, 2 deputies to face Committee in ‘corruption’ probe Citi News can confirm that a prima facie case has been established against the Electoral […]
- February 16, 2017 Okudzeto fires back at Osei-Owusu’s “cancerous fabrication” over bribery scandal Member of Parliament for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has denied he confessed […]
- June 25, 2018 I’m not a mad man – Kennedy Agyapong tells NPP members
Controversial Assin Central Member of Parliament (MP), Kennedy Ohene Agyapong has made […]
- February 14, 2018 Martin Amidu will collapse NPP, mark my words – Ken Agyapong Controversial NPP Member of Parliament for Assin Central Honourable Kennedy Agyapong has […]
- March 31, 2018 Accruing GH¢28.6b debt in 1 year with nothing to show worrying- Adongo to govt Member of Parliament for Bolgatanga Central, Isaac Adongo is accusing government of […]
- July 28, 2018 NDC: Kpandai constituency elections final results.
Kpandai constituency in the Northern region which was part of the 16 constituencies […]
- April 7, 2017 Ayariga formally apologises for false bribery claim Bawku Central MP, Mahama Ayariga, has asked the Speaker of Parliament to forgive him […]
- March 14, 2017 First batch of deputy Ministers undergo orientation
The first batch of President Akufo-Addo's deputy ministerial nominees underwent an […]
- June 11, 2018 MPs Missing At Ghana Card Registration No Member of Parliament has so far been registered in the special ongoing Ghana card […]