Former New Patriotic Party Member of Parliament for Akwatia, Dr. Kofi Asare was killed in gory lorry accident at Nankyea, near Nkawkaw, on the Kumasi-Accra main road at exactly 7:20 p.m on Tuesday.
His vehicle, a Ford Expedition with registration GC 4756-09 ran into a stationary cargo truck parked at the edge of the road.
The former regional health director for Brong Ahafo and Ashanti regions was traveling from Agogo to Accra when the accident occurred.
He died on the spot with severe head injuries.
The vehicle in which he was traveling is completely mangled.
Dr. Asare was declared the winner of the Akwatia Constituency Parliamentary elections in 2008 after several months of disputes which ended at the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court in July 2009 ruled for a rerun of elections at six polling stations. He polled 17, 900 votes to beat NDC’s Ahmed Mohammed Baba Jamal who managed 15,860 in the 2008 elections.
He was however unseated by the former deputy minister in 2012 elections.
Until his death, he was one of the five deans of the Presbyterian University College being the Acting Dean, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the Asante Akyem campus at Agogo.
News of his death spread quickly across the country on Wednesday. Shocked over his death, some medical doctors, staff of Presbyterian University College, friends and relatives continue to visit the accident scene in shock and disbelief.
Nkawkaw Divisional Commander, Chief Superintendent James Sarfo Peprah who confirmed the road accident says police have launched investigations.
Recommended for You...
- September 30, 2017 Appiah Stadium is not a criminal – Baba Jamal
Former Member of Parliament for the Akwatia Constituency in the Eastern Region, Baba […]
- February 16, 2018 Atuguba presentation ‘insult of the highest order’ – Dotse A Justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Jones Dotse has described as an “insult of the […]
- January 22, 2018 Stop being insensitive about Bawumia’s health – Obiri Boahen fumes Deputy General Secretary of the NPP, Nana Obiri Boahen, has warned critics of the New […]
- March 10, 2017 NPP SHOULD STAND FIRM: Mahama bounces back to contest in 2020
Posters indicating a possible return of ex-President John Mahama for the 2020 […]
- February 17, 2017 List of regional Council of State representatives
Elections for regional representatives to serve on the Council of State took place […]
- June 21, 2018 Sylvester Mensah calls for calm ahead of NDC’s constituency elections National Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential hopeful, Sylvester Mensah
Aspirant in […]
- March 31, 2017 Akufo-Addo to begin 3-day ‘Thank You’ tour in Ashanti Friday President Akuffo-Addo is expected to begin a three-day thank you tour in the Ashanti […]
- March 29, 2017 mahama can’t be guaranteed 2020 flagbearership – NDC The Ashanti Region branch of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) says it cannot […]
- October 20, 2017 Photos: Five celebrities who ventured into politics and failed
Politics, they say, is a game for the smartest of persons. The narrative is very […]
- March 1, 2018 Obiri Boahen Preparing To Face NPP Steering Committee Deputy General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) Nana Obiri Boahen […]
- March 15, 2017 Mahama will contest 2020 elections and win big – Yammin
Former Deputy Ashanti Regional Minister, Joseph Yammin has reaffirmed speculations […]
- December 27, 2017 Justice Atuguba opens up on 2012 Election Petition Justice Williams Atuguba has spoken for the first time since delivering judgement on the […]