The Technical University Teachers Association of Ghana (TUTAG) will from Friday, March 2, begin a strike action, in protest of the amendment in certain sections of the 2016 Act that establishes Technical universities.
The amendment bill which is currently before Parliament seeks to grant powers to the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE) to perform functions which TUTAG argues fall within the purview of the Governing Councils, the Academic Boards and the Principal Officers of Universities in Ghana.
The Chairman of the Ho chapter of TUTAG, Albert Laurent Sakabutu, told newsmen that, the action will begin with a sit down strike from today to Monday.
“We will have an emergency meeting on all campuses and we’ll tell our people the roadmap for the strike action. It will begin with a sit down strike till Monday and we’ll continue with a roadmap that will be agreed upon on by close of day today. It is nationwide in all the institutions,” he said.
The Technical University’s Teachers Association of Ghana (TUTAG), called on the President Akufo-Addo and the Minister for Education, Matthew Opoku Prempeh, in October 2017, to stop the National Council for Tertiary Education’s (NCTE) illegal directives being imposed on the various technical universities.
“The NCTE’s directive on ratification of Harmonized Conditions of Service [which varies from one Technical University to the other] contravenes several sections of the Labour Act 2003, Act 651, which relates to the right of workers to negotiate terms and conditions of employment in Ghana. The right of staff of technical universities to negotiate the relevant terms and conditions of service will be denied or severely curtailed if the proposed procedure by NCTE prevails,” Regional TUTAG President, Peter Awuni has said.
Recommended for You...
- August 7, 2018 Kings Shouldn’t Depend On Government Funds For Development –Obrempong Professor Kyem-Amponsah Fiapre King The King of Fiapre traditional authority, Obrempong Professor Kyem-Amponsah II has […]
- April 8, 2018 UEW SRC Corruption Scandal: Acting Vice Chancellor must act Now or STEP DOWN
GHS 683,000.00 Corruption in UEW SRC: Acting Vice Chancellor must act Now or STEP […]
- July 13, 2018 MEET THE BEST MATHS STUDENT IN SUNYANI. The conscious understanding of mathematics to many students have it that; maths is […]
- April 6, 2018 Dominic Eduah Is The Perfect Person To Succeed Sammy Awuku As NPP Youth Organiser-Legon TESCON member speaks. This is the situation we find ourselves in at the moment as Sammy Awuku, National Youth […]
- September 21, 2018 PUT CONCRETE MEASURES IN PLACE TO SOLVE CHALLENGES FACING GHANAIANS- DR.AHMED JINAPOR. A lecturer at University of Education, Winneba, Dr. Ahmed Jinapor has urged the […]
- June 27, 2018 GNAT orders GES to stop GES-SIC Insurance Policy deductions and refund GH¢10 to Teachers
The Leadership of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) has issued a […]
- January 3, 2018 Teacher unions set to strike over GHc 50m arrears The three teacher unions have told the government to brace itself for a strike during […]
- February 28, 2018 FAKEBA IS THE NEW AMBASSADOR OF ROLAND CORPORATION FOR AFRICA The Queen of Africa, will officially represent the famous musical brand.
After starting […]
- January 5, 2018 Ghs 14m Released By Government To Pay Teachers Arrears from 2013-2016 -Dr. Bawumia Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has disclosed that the Finance Ministry has released […]
- December 16, 2017 Scientist requests $6bn out of $21.5bn railway money to build bullet trains Ghanaian chemical engineer, Dr Thomas Mensah says he could revamp the country’s railway […]
- August 10, 2017 29 ‘born again’ Christians return their certificates to WAEC for cheating Twenty-nine born again Christians have returned their results slips to the West African […]
- March 20, 2018 PHOTOS: Heartless Landlady pours hot porridge on her tenant’s 1-year old baby This is a disturbing story of a landlady in Zambia who got into a clash with her tenant […]